- Our Schools
- Preschool and day care
- Primary Schools
- Middle Schools
- High Schools
- Alternative Schools
- Maple Grove K-8 school
- District map
- School Boundaries
- School Hours
- School photos, construction dates
- Parents & Community
- Suicide prevention & 'Facebook' guide
- BG Community Education
- Bus Routes and Schedules
- Family Access
- Health Services
- Homeless Students
- Nutrition Services
- Parent-Student Handbook
- Preschool and day care
- Safe, Drug-Free Schools
- Safe Kids, Clark County
- School Facilities Rental
- Volunteering Opportunities
- Teaching & Learning
- Aspire, Special Ed., ELL, Title/LAP
- Assessment and Research
- Career and Technical Ed.
- Contact Teaching & Learning
- Curriculum Standards
- Educational Technology
- Graduation Requirements
- World Book Online
- Human Resources
- Staff Resources
- About Us
Google Apps for Education
Welcome to Google Apps for Education
Google Apps for Education is a set of free, flexible, customizable tools that will provide opportunities for students and faculty to work more effectively in a collaborative environment. This comprehensive, cost-effective solution is entirely browser-based, making it easier for students to work from any Internet-accessible computer, without having to purchase expensive software to communicate or do their homework. This is one example of what is known at “cloud” computing.
Staff and students can access their school documents from the lab, the classroom, the public library and even from home! Google Apps will provide safe email for all middle and high schools students, and primary students upon request from sites. Students will still use their current district network account addresses for their email “firstname.lastname@example.org”
Here are the primary reasons for providing to Google Apps for Education:
- Google email (gmail) is nearly identical to Hotmail, Yahoo Mail and other web-based mail systems that students use regularly for their private use.
- These apps are tailored specifically for educational institutions. Accounts are managed by the school district (and not by Google) and advertisements are turned off. Google Apps for Education allows school districts to create their own special Google domain/area for their staff and students to create, collaborate and share ideas online between each other, as well as provide the framework for sharing across districts.
- Students can manage their documents without having to be logged into the school’s network. – With a Google App account, students have their document storage accessible through the Internet from any computer or mobile device. Students will no longer need to have Microsoft Office or a similar product installed to create and save documents or presentations. They can choose to use the free Google Doc tools to create documents, spreadsheets and presentations and then collaborate with each other or the teacher in real-time right inside the browser window. Students will no longer need to transport documents to school via flash drives or by attaching them to emails that they send to themselves.
- Students will be better prepared for college or the workplace. – Thousands of universities and colleges have already migrated to Google Apps and these types of shared, collaborative communication systems are becoming standard in the business office and other work environments. Students can use Google sites to begin preparing e-portfolios early in their high school careers.
- Students will be able to use their Google Apps account for their education portfolio, giving them access to all the work they’ve done in their Battle Ground education experience.
About Google Apps for Education:
Google Apps for Education allows schools to give Google's communication and collaboration applications to their entire education community for FREE. All services are hosted by Google and are available to users via any Internet-connected computer or mobile device. Google Apps for Education includes, but is not limited to, the following services:
Gmail - provides up to 25 gigabytes of e-mail storage per mailbox, highly effective spam filtering and powerful search tools
Google Calendar - allows easy coordination of work or class schedules, meetings and events online
Google Docs - allows users to create and collaborate on documents, spreadsheets, presentations, forms and drawings in real-time as well as upload and share any file type
Google Sites - gives users the ability to develop and customize rich websites and embed Google Docs, Google Calendars, videos and other media -- all without requiring any technical expertise
Google Groups - offers the ability to create mailing lists and discussion forums allowing students and teachers to easily and efficiently share documents, calendars, sites and media with specific groups.
Additional Google Orientation Resources:
Google Apps Quick Tour [01:58 YouTube]
Why Google Apps for Education? [10:38 YouTube]
Video Explaining Google Docs [01:48 YouTube]